Created for The Botanist Gin with their herby umami flavours from wild foraged ingredients, The Sage is a free and easy interpretation of a gin sour without the egg white. I find the eggy whiff and slight eggy taste in cocktails using pasteurized egg white slightly offputting. But that is my taste.
If you are a fan of savoury or umami gins and like your cocktails on the sour rather than sweet side you will love this cocktail.
The colour is a delicate sophisticated pale green from the syrup and nothing like the vibrant green of a Gin Basil Smash.
Sage is a strong tasting herb so if you find it a little overwhelming dial the syrup right down.
Cocktail or coupe
- 60ml / 2 oz The Botanist Gin or similar
- 15ml / ½ oz elderflower liqueur
- 5 to 7.5ml / roughly ¼ oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 7.5 to 10ml / roughly ¼ oz sage syrup (see recipe)
- Put all the ingredients into a shaker with ice.
- Shake vigorously to chill the cocktail and get some tiny slivers of ice into the drink.
- Pour through a Hawthorne strainer to keep all those bits of ice into a chilled cocktail or coupe glass.
One sage leaf floating.
Share the love. Buttons above and below.