I can’t think of anything more warming and comforting than snuggling up fireside with a mulled sloe gin. This is a hot toddy with hot fruit juices replacing the hot water for a fruitier mix. Feel free to adapt to taste. This is one forgiving cocktail.
I have used a 50/50 mix of freshly squeezed apple juice and cloudy apple juice. You can add more of the fruit mixture or less, depending on your preference. Mine is for a mulled sloe gin with a kick to it. Warming, fruity and feels as if it’s doing you good. And with all that vitamin C, maybe it is!
Glass: Toddy glass
- 45ml / 1.5oz homemade sloe gin (find out how to make it here:-)
- 30ml / 1oz freshly squeezed orange juice
- 30ml / 1oz cloudy apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 1 clove
- 1 bar spoon / 5ml ginger syrup from a jar
- Heat the spices and ginger syrup with both fruit juices very gently in a pan, taking care not to boil the mixture.
- Simmer gently for 5 mins to infuse the spices.
- Pour the sloe gin into a toddy cup or something similar.
- Pour the hot fruity spice mixture over the gin.
- Stir with a cinnamon stick.